Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Stay As You Are---It Just Can't Be Done


“The Stars Are So Big, The Earth Is So Small. Stay As You Are” (79)




My husband and I bought 10 ½ acres of land this past summer and this purchase represented new beginnings, hope, and a different sense of time and space than what you would find in urban surroundings. As of late, I have struggled with the notion of time and space. Recent experiences in my life have forced me to view the land we purchased differently. Time is no longer predictable or stable in my life, it either goes too quickly or too slowly. I tried to capture that by using a video I took over the summer driving through our land by editing it, adjusting the speed, and changing the color composition. The purpose of manipulating the video was to also show that time and space can change something stable such as a piece of land that has remained untouched.

“We can no longer build serially, block-by-block, step-by-step, because instant communication insures that all factors of the environment and of experience co-exist in a state of active interplay” (63)

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your contrast of color and time between shots. The environment you captured is really beautiful, and it's interesting to look at from the shaky camera inside of a driving car. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you took something that is stable and unchanged (land) and made it into something that was uncertain and unsteady. Your explanation in your blog post really completed the whole effect and provided some nice background into what the video was of- I liked it!

    ReplyDelete